Friday, July 17, 2009

Fear II

Why is it that I can write about God ad infinitum, but I find the topic of fear so daunting?

Fear has been operative in my life at all the crucial junctures. When I quit drinking (coming up on 17 years sober, thanks), I remember the fear switch flipping from too-afraid-to-quit to too-afraid-to-die. I've feared being different from everyone else, and I've feared being the same as everyone else. I've feared letting people know me, and I've feared being unknown.

Fear is what? Air?

Fear is a way to describe a feeling, a discomfort. I used to feel uncomfortable all the time, so I drank to remove that feeling. It didn't help. In the end, fear help me move on.

When I've moved forward in my life, it's been by doing things I'm afraid of. But then, my fear has often saved me from injuring myself, like in traffic, in my bicycle, in the city.

Fear is what? Information?

Is fear the dark side of hope? And how quickly I can toggle between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment