Monday, October 19, 2009

Fear conquered

Had an interesting experience last week. Went to a rock climbing gym and took their intro course. Such an endeavor calls up a number of my fears. Heights, social interaction, looking like an idiot, etc. etc.

But I went anyway, cause I've been ranting at Sarah so much about facing fears and I don't actively TRY to be a hypocrite, so...

I went.

And every time some fear popped up in my head, I just pushed it away. I dismissed it. I said to myself, "I'm not obligated to follow through with non-productive thoughts," and I turned my attention back to what I was doing.

There was something in my head that kept saying that I was not facing my fear, that I wasn't being honest in the way I went about it, but you know what? That's a bunch of bullshit. I went. I exposed myself as a rank beginner. I put on the rental shoes and strapped into the genitalia scrunching harness. I listened to the instructor. I did what I was told. I ignored the cooler folks arrayed around me, hop, skipping and jumping up the wall, and I did what I could do. I climbed.

And it was seriously fucking fun.

John 1 - Fear 0

No comments:

Post a Comment